To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 11:28 PM
Subject: Re: Cold winters for Jehol dinosaurs during Early Cretaceous explain feathers?

On Wed, Mar 9th, 2011 at 2:37 PM, "bh480@scn.org" <bh480@scn.org> wrote:

This news story is out in French and Spanish news sources, but I haven't
found an English language version yet. I'll post a link and the full
abstract as soon as the article is available on the PNAS site.

Romain Amiot, Xu Wang, Zhonghe Zhou, Xiaolin Wang, Eric Buffetaut,
Christophe Lécuyer, Zhongli Ding, Frédéric Fluteau, Tsuyoshi Hibino, Nao
Kusuhashi, Jinyou Mo, Varavudh Suteethorn, Yuanqing Wang, Xing Xu, and
Fusong Zhang (2011).
Oxygen isotopes of East Asian dinosaurs reveal exceptionally cold Early
Cretaceous climates.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. (advance publication)

http://www2.cnrs.fr/presse/communique/2125.htm

A team of French, Chinese, Japanese, and Thai scientists says that oxygen
istopes from teeth and bones of dinosaurs, mammals, and reptiles that lived
in the Jehol region during the Early Cretaceous indicate that the local
climate was temperate, not tropical, and more similar to the modern Beijing
region. During the cold winters,  turtles and lizards hiberated. The
feathers on dinosaurs would have helped keep them warm during the colder
months.

Babelfish does a reasonable job of translating the French into English, although there were a few
hiccups. While discussing feather types:

"(these structures could take various aspects, energy of the filament to the "true feathers", while
passing by the sleeping bag and the "protoplumes")."

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Dann Pigdon