Re: Salt water crocs as pets

On Fri, Mar 11th, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Dan Chure <danchure@easilink.com> wrote:

> Anyway, tonight's (3/10)  episode they tell the story of people who keep
> salt water crocs and house pets.  The ads show a fairly large croc being
> carried around inside a house and sitting in the car next to the
> driver!  This might be amusing and instructive to those on this list who
> think it would be great to have a live non-avian dinosaur around the
> house, especially theropods.

Pet crocodiles aren't all that unusual in the north of Australia:

Croc lurking in Darwin suburb 'may have been a pet'
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/10/10/2387388.htm

Pet crocodile takes passer-by by surprise
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2005/04/07/1340636.htm

Man fights to keep croc in backyard
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/22/3099467.htm
(With a picture of the croc in question in a bar in the 1970s)

Darwin awash with dumped pet crocs
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/08/2085161.htm

I've heard that fresh-water crocs make better pets though. They tend to be less
aggressive, and
don't grow large enough to take an arm off (just the occasional finger).

Dann Pigdon