RE: Pantydraco and the worst dinosaur name

  While some of the names mentioned are pretty bad, I think *Megapnosaurus*
takes the booby prize. There is so much that is insulting and _wrong_ about
that name that anything that attempts to redeem it fails.

  While I [severely dislike] it, use is mandatory so long as authors recognize
*Coelophysis rhodesiensis* as a unique taxon from *Coelophysis*. Me, I think
just using *Coelophysis rhodesiensis* should be sufficient. "Syntarsides" or
"Syntarsipes" (names are not currently occupied) or something reminiscent of
the name could have been useful -- and may be necessary for *Syntarsus
kayentakatae* -- but not any longer, and so long as we apply any part of the
ICZN to nomenclatural priority, the hypocrisy of not doing so for
*rhodesiensis* should gall the author. Shame on them.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/