Re: Use of paleoart in scientific publications.

Mr. Paul,

Please, read the copyright statements - usually, all rights are
transferred to either the publisher or a society. Take, e.g., your own
paper in Cretaceous Research on iguanodont taxonomy: (c) is with
Elsevier, not you. Your 1984 JVP segnoaurs paper? (c) SVP, not you.
There are ways to retain copyright, and journals are usually willing
to let you keep it for illustrations, if you give a reason.

So before making absurd demands and lecturing people on copyrights,
check up on what you did when you signed your agreement with your
publishers. Either they screwed you and forgot to put a notice in that
you retain copyright, or you do not hold copyright to the published(!)
version of the figures.

I understand that you hate to have your way of making a living
targeted by thieves, but the broad demands you make, such as
copyrighting a pose, are just megalomaniac. And this wholesale
approach of your makes your demands sound like a desperate attempt to
grab money. [sarcasm] However, the quality of your "reconstructions"
is not what you claim it is - maybe you CAN actually get a copyright
on the "crushed-ankle" posture? That one, at least is original, and
one certainly never adopted by any dinosaur. [/sarcasm]

Another point: I tried to talk to you about your drawings, twice, in
person, at meetings. Both times you were highly impolite, snubbing me,
in once case actually turning away from me without a word when I
merely said "Good day Mr. Paul! Nice to meet you, I'd like to talk to
you about your drawings of Plateosaurus". I was quite willing to ask
you - despite you no longer holding copyrights - about re-using your
figures. Would have saved me a lot of trouble re-drawing them from the
publications. But your total lack of social skills at these occasions
stopped me from giving you any courtesy. I could have gone to the
vvarious publishers of your Plateosaurus sketches - instead, I decided
to use the legal loophole of "re-drawing" - but then, I didn't intend
to (nor did I ever do) make money off your work.

Heinrich Mallison