dino branding

Bakker never "branded" a particular dinosaur pose, the one he used for the
running Deinonychus was not repeated. Also that was a free style posture
with the left femur restracted too far and the right leg tucked up too much for
an actual running animal.

When I was doing my very first of my current set of running dinosaur
skeletons I wanted to get away from the old all feet on the ground poses I have
long decried and decided to go for exactly the opposite by using a technical
pose that showed the fastest symmetrical gait for that dinosuar type at the
peak power level of the propulsive. Both in order to simplify doing skeleton
after skeleton after skeleton, and to facilatate comparisons between
skeletons, the pose would be universal. It was an opportune time to do so
because
by then I knew enough about animal locomotion to arrive at feasible leg
postures that have stood the test of time.

Eventually the pose became my brand. Here's a reason it can be important to
protect this sort of thing. Say someone has published a large number of
side view dinosaur restorations all in the same pose that most researchers
consider high in qaulity, and everyone comes to recognize as having been done
by
that guy. Say someone else is doing their dinosaurs in the same pose, but
are doing a very bad job of it with sloppy rendering and inaccurate
proportions and so on. This can confuse viwers and adversely impact the
reputation
and value of the original artist's body of work.

G Paul</HTML>