Re: dino branding

The arguments you cite for using this pose are very sensible:
1) they convey information about the portrayed species, namely an extreme locomotion
2) they present a standard, and as such benefit efficiency in production

They also clarify comparison between species. Even if different artists have created them. All the better if they are biomechanically correct but that's the purpose of science - to figure that out.

summary:
You draw a distinction between yourself and Bakker upon the "brand" of pose. You demand (seriously, apparently) that people neglect a presentational aspect that contains meaningful transmission of information. And you do so on terms that legal copyright would support you.

reaction:
Wrong, wrong and wrong. IF pose were copyrightable, it would be attributed to the first instance - not to the most consequent repetition. The pose is useful for transmission of scientific knowledge about a species and therefore needs to be out there - imo for ethical reasons. Finally, I would be very surprised if pose can be subjected to copyright. I agree with Heinrich that this demand on pose is damaging to your own declared purpose of defending valid copyright issues. It is a lost battle and rightly so. The true battle about your artwork will be hard enough to fight.... all you are doing is shooting yourself in the foot and mocking the respect that generations of artists have for you.

Dude.

David Maas

Bakker never "branded" a particular dinosaur pose, the one he used for the
running Deinonychus was not repeated. Also that was a free style posture
with the left femur restracted too far and the right leg tucked up too much for
an actual running animal.

When I was doing my very first of my current set of running dinosaur
skeletons I wanted to get away from the old all feet on the ground poses I have
long decried and decided to go for exactly the opposite by using a technical
pose that showed the fastest symmetrical gait for that dinosuar type at the
peak power level of the propulsive. Both in order to simplify doing skeleton
after skeleton after skeleton, and to facilatate comparisons between
skeletons, the pose would be universal. It was an opportune time to do so
because
by then I knew enough about animal locomotion to arrive at feasible leg
postures that have stood the test of time.

Eventually the pose became my brand. Here's a reason it can be important to
protect this sort of thing. Say someone has published a large number of
side view dinosaur restorations all in the same pose that most researchers
consider high in qaulity, and everyone comes to recognize as having been done by
that guy. Say someone else is doing their dinosaurs in the same pose, but
are doing a very bad job of it with sloppy rendering and inaccurate
proportions and so on. This can confuse viwers and adversely impact the
reputation
and value of the original artist's body of work.

G Paul</HTML>