Re: dino branding

somehow they manage it with multiple authors
On Mar 14, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Demetrios Vital wrote:

P.S. I was not complaining about lack of acknowledgement as part of journal habit in my case. It may be worth it for artists to always try to secure that sort of acknowledgement, but in the cases where more than one hand has contributed to an illustration, such as if lithography or engraving comes back into vogue, acknowledging each artist in the figure could be unwiedly.

- DMV

-----Original Message-----
From: "Demetrios Vital" <demetrios.vital@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:40:41
To: DML<dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: dino branding

Hello all,

One salient point regarding signatures on technical works is that artists/illustrators rarely have the option of putting a signature on technical scientific illustration. Within paleontology, my illustrations of skeletal elements and life restorations have typically been attributed by the authors with a variant of "Thanks to D. Vital" in the acknowledgements.

Within entomology, my technical illustrations have at times been unacknowledged (by name) in journals depending on journal practice (i.e. If there is no acknowledgement section, there aren't acknowledgements).

The habits of individual authors and journals don't necessarily allow artists to have technical work attributed. And there are those who say that technical illos. are scientific evidence, so a signature would be inappropriate.

So, unfortunately, self-attribution is not a straightforward issue. This question has been raised in the course of this debate, most recently by David Marjanovic and Henrich Mallison. Copyrights are a messy issue, of course, so this is just one more variable to consider.

Cheers,

Demetrios Vital