Re: Actually Doing Something About the Great Paleoart Ripoff

In the hope that the current discussion doesn't bypass the positive outlook aspects, I'd like to formulate my thoughts as to what opportunities are now at hand - and how these might be incorporated into a artist management platform.

3D skeletal reconstructions...
2D reconstructions really are artistic, as anyone working with a 3D dataset will know. There is so much knowledge necessary in putting one together because so much data is simply not present in the silhouette bone reductions. At the same time 3D software is becoming widely available at little to no cost. The questions Greg Paul raises will be revisited in spades once the collaborate efforts behind such 3D reconstructions become more common... from preparation, scanning and data clean-up to articulation and - why not - biomechanical rotational limits, walk cycles, animations, differentiated perhaps between scientific consulting and actual modeling, data manipulation. Who owns what and gets remunerated for which efforts? Technically, it would be possible to accompany all of these steps with accreditation, so the final data set is tagged with meta data of all the participants along the way. Producer X - who wants a visualization of dinosaur B - can then select from the library. Perhaps there are 12 illustrations and 2 animations that have been created based off of three different 3D skeletals from 2 scientific hypothesis and these data sets can be licensed, all the way back to the folk who dug up the fossils. The transparency of process would in and of itself be an outreach project for science methodology! Interestingly, SACD has a not too distant model for artists working on public entertainment in France... an entire crew of creatives gets remunerated based on a mathematical model of participation on the final project. Many amounts are fairly trivial as you can imagine, but they are proportionate to someone's assessment of participation. Here we have further issues such as which parts of the pipeline have alternative funding, ie. grants, etc.

data archival
One of the biggest challenges in the digital processes are data formats and protocol-ling. How can the stl's, obj's and endless other formats be tagged with metadata in a reliable manner? How can the longevity of data formats be secured? How can access and transparency be optimized?

I'm a media and animation guy. The energy that has drawn me to paleoart is found in the collectors around Baden-Wuerttemberg who beat on stone every weekend, the tirelessly authored blogs such as darren naish's, svpow and many others, in the OpenDinosaur public participation models and the opportunity to pass on my fascination for the crazy things that you educated folk can deduce from bits of rock and to do so in a manner that pinpoints where I feel that fascination should be targeted. It would be a shame to overlook all that and the opportunities that now face us.