Re: Walking With Dinosaurs 3D coming in 2013

Personally as a hardened cinema-phile I think that non-avian dinosaurs
and the Mesozoic in general returning to the big screen should be
filmed in the style of Godfrey Reggio's justifiably grand "Qatsi"
trilogy that filmed, without a linear narrative or narration of any
kind, and in near continuous montage, images from various areas of the
world and people of innumerable walks of life. This non-linear,
anti-narrative format would absolve the insipid story-lines and
idiotic narration that plagued the Walking with Dinosaurs tv specials
and which will undoubtedly do the same in the above-mentioned film.
I imagine this Qatsi-influenced film cutting every few minutes from
one Mesozoic drama, whether vast or miniscule, to another as the film
dynamically flows throughout the entirety of the Mesozoic with some
parts of the film thematically dealing with violence while others with
birth, migration and so on. It would just be a film about the lives of
these amazing beasts as they go about their Mesozoic world. Of course
it undoubtedly would need a rousing score to equal that of Philip
Glass' for Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi.

Also, for those who wanted to know more about the dinosaurs in the
film you could have pamphlets, books and so on to fill their
curiosity.

Personally I find dinosaurs are still looked at by many as child's
play--I'm looked at by friends and general people quizzically for
showing the interest I have in them--and I think a film that would
detail dinosaurs but also articulate and juxtapose universal subjects
such as death and violence, reproduction and birth, as well as the
universal mortality of all species, could give the field more outward
respect from being just a tool for so many Michael Bay-esque sparks
and whistles.
What I'm talking about in essence, and this is the best analogy you
could ever come up with, is a dinosaur film to cause a paradigm shift
in the public’s perception on the same level that the graphic novel
Watchmen did for comics and sequential story telling; before it was
published comics were, like dinosaurs, considered subjects best left
to children--Alan Moore and Watchmen changed that forever.
For dinosaurs I think all you need is someone with a vision as well as
the dedication to uphold accuracy as much as is scientifically
possible. Certainly most historical films, whether that’s recent or
ancient history, are inaccurate in one form or another, but there are
those few that have upheld accuracy valiantly; Melville’s Army of
Shadows as well as Pontecorvo’s The Battle of Algiers being the most
notable.
I think it’s only a matter of time before some serious dinosaur-junky
grows up, not to render them with paint, but with a film camera. It’s
all in the waiting.

Clip from Powaqqatsi here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4mSEou1zhA&feature=related

Clip from Koyaanisqatsi here: