Re: Reductio Ad Absurdum. It is 1984 Dinosaur Time..!

I suppose I’m naive in the extreme but what happened to science for
science’s sake? I always thought that one of science’s major purposes was to
elucidate, educate and inform. What kind of society is it where even
noteworthy causes of art and science are milked for every shilling
possible in a desperate need for ever more money; not only do we have
to pay for Mr. Paul’s books but we have to also pay him for the
influence, artistic or scientific, that they make on us. Is this the
trend of our times? If so I suppose someday I’ll be getting a letter
informing me to “cease and desist from taking unauthorized inspiration
from the collective works of Frank Frazetta.”
In as much, what happened to artists simply being happy that they
inspired and influenced other and younger artists? Perhaps this tells
of the poverty of my life-goals but my greatest hope for my art is
that someday some snot-nosed kid would look at a painting of mine and
say, “wow, I wanna paint that!” I want to know that, even if it’s in
some small way, I inspired someone as much as the great artists of my
childhood and adolescence inspired me--to pass the torch of artistic
as well as scientific inspiration to the next generation. Furthermore
is it too much to simply be happy that you influenced someone or a
group of people without wanting royalties from them for the
inspiration and influence?

I suppose, depending on the way you look at it, what Mr. Paul is
proposing is an exceptionally profound case study in the corrupting
nature of greed and money: would you, for some -possible- extra
revenue, artistically stagnate and bankrupt the artistic medium of
which you work in and uphold? I think we should honestly look at it as
a stunning articulation of how both avarice and selfishness can
overthrow and supersede filial respect and artistic fraternity. Still,
I am disappointed that a researcher and artist I so respected would
show himself to such un-virtuous nature. C’est la vi.

Also to second Mr. Rey’s comments, practically every popular dinosaur
book that I’ve seen that was illustrated by a lesser “paleoartist” had
few if any blatant rip-offs of, or direct influences by, Mr. Paul’s
work--most are flabby, disproportionate cgi clunkers that look to be
most influenced anatomically by a sack of potatoes.

--
Our life is what our thoughts make it.
-Marcus Aurelius