Re: Reductio Ad Absurdum. It is 1984 Dinosaur Time..!

Bob,

Lowering prices can be a valid method of competing. It can be a blunt destructive act of desperation, but it can also be a productive method.

In the automobile industry this is done by upping efficiency... hence lower price per unit. Someone who can turn out 10 reconstructions a month can charge less than someone who does 5. In illustration, this is most likely achievable via toolset... digital tools enable re-use and replication, efficient texturing, etc.

The lower wage could be offset by multiple exploitation... say the traditional artist who sells still images on various licensing schemes and then the original painting to boot. Or a sculptor can make a series instead of one unique model.

The lower wage can be workflow oriented... in advertising it's common to work for an "Aufwandsentschaedigung" - a risk wage. The artist works cheaply with the agency on a pitch - but charges enough to cover costs, an retains all rights. If the job goes through, they get the job at full rate. This enables the producer to pitch quality work.

The lower wage can also be a result of living cost differences... the vfx industry has given up bemoaning the fact that hordes of chinese, phillipines and indians are now doing virtually all of the industry's rotoscoping. Interestingly enough, after all the outrage, we've seen that there are actuallymore jobs out there as a result because these markets are now making films for their own huge markets. And they've begun to differentiate between quality standards.

The inverse of this is targeting deluxe segments... this involves educating the client about why price is justified and requires a longer-term relationship. Sure this is happening as well.

I suspect that any demands for wage standards that do not reflect these options will remain demands. On the other hand, I'm sure that there's a wealth of opportunity in all of these options - particularly the last. And that requires community outreach and a meaningful interaction between the scientists, artists and distribution channels.

I feel what you're calling out is the very real destructive element, but with out a realistic distinction I'm afraid the discussion won't lead to the desired wave of solidarity.

David

How will they make a living by undercutting prices?
Do they think they can have a mortgage by going cheap?
No, all they can do is ruin the field and live in their parents' basement the rest of their lives.