RE: Reductio Ad Absurdum. It is 1984 Dinosaur Time..!

C'mon Mike, don't misrepresent what Bob and Tess have been saying. There's a
huge difference between saying everyone should charge a large premium price
and saying that artists should charge enough to ensure not only that they
can make a living but that there is the possibility of a profession at all.
For money people - and I learned this straight from Isaac Asimov in a
conversation I had with him right before he passed away - they value the
product by what they pay for it and if outlets that are making big sums of
money on their products think real paleoart is worth next to nothing because
they found someone who will just throw their stuff at them, that is all they
will ever pay for it. The first job you took as a programmer at least paid
you enough to live and progress in your profession, even if it was real
tight. I know it took a while for me to earn reasonable dollars. That is
what paleoartists should try and do also, not undercut themselves in the
long run.

Further, given that Bob and Tess have not suggested an enforcement bureau
for art pricing, they are simply advising and requesting that paleoartists
consider this in their pricing and business practices. It's their bloody
right to do so and as senior people in the paleoart community, they just
might know something that is useful to young artists who wish to continue in
the profession. Tess especially paid for this right by publishing a great
book that helps aspiring artists learn how to protect their work, establish
copyright etc. and by their constant helping of young paleoartists. Further,
Bob and most other senior paleoartists still often work with scientists in a
way they can afford, or for free, when circumstances require and they are
not suggesting that paleoartists stick it to scientists.

So don't distort their message, it muddles the dialog and does you
injustice. Now I have no idea what Greg is really suggesting, so I'll not
comment.

Ralph