Re: Clarification of scope of paleoart market and other items

I partner Japanese illustrator Mineo Shiraishi and while we would probably be considered in the second tier of restoration providers (though I hasten to add not imitators of anyone) our experience in general, and particularly in terms of payment, is certainly congruent with Greg's. We work mainly with book and multimedia publishers, museums and parks. It has been necessary to turn down a significant number of offers as just plain disrespectful. Despite our second-tierdom many hours and much rigor goes into Mineo restorations and granting reproduction to some would result in a cheapening of our intellectual property that we won't entertain. Then again as Greg puts it, we're "amateurs", who have other sources of income. As stated a while back most that are charged with seeking a deal are not those determining the budget and while the negotiators express sympathy for our position of demanding fair payment those holding the purse strings seem to believe we should be grateful for any payment at all raised as they have within a culture where "free" media downloading and individual copyright infringement is rife. I think this last point (probably previously raised (there's a lot to read in these threads)) has a huge and ever-increasing bearing on this issue. How many DMLers, even paleoartists, have copyrighted material acquired without payment on their computer as they read this?

Steve

On 16/03/2011 6:28:51 AM, gsp1954@aol.com wrote:
> An unfortunate problem with these discussions is that persons who just do
>
> not know about the issue seem to be obsessed with making arguments that
> are
> so disconnected from reality that they are from a galaxy far, far away.
> This
> has been happening with some really silly notions on what and how
> paleoartists can earn. This is bad because then those in paleontology may
> have a major
> misimpression of what is going on with the paleoartists they often work
> with.
>
> Some fellow actually suggested that a certain noted artist might earn, say
>
> a quarter million on a single painting. Let me be clear about this. There
> is
> absolutely no significant adult market for original paleo paintings in
> existence. There was one briefly after the first JP came out in Japan and
> some
> artists earned modest amounts, but then their economy went belly up.
> Lazendorf, a famed hair dresser with top level clientele packed his high
> rise
> apartment to the gills for a few years, and then sold it off for a lot of
> money
> and switched I hear to Asian art.
>
> There are a number of fellow paleo nerds who would love to have Hallett,
> Gurchie or Paul on their walls. And they can only afford poster

Steve Walsh
www.dinosaurcentral.com          |         www.dinosaurpicturesonline.com

Email: steve@dinosaurcentral.com | stevewalsh53@gmail.com