RE: Clarification of scope of paleoart market and other items

Mickey,
To answer your last question, no that's not what I'm suggesting. I certainly have material of that kind. I was not referring to the "fuzziness" of copyright in the paleo realm but to instances of clear breaches within wider popular culture particularly music, film and video etc.

Steve

On 16/03/2011 10:08:24 AM, Mickey Mortimer (mickey_mortimer111@msn.com) wrote:
> Steve Walsh wrote-
>
> > How many DMLers, even paleoartists, have copyrighted material
> > acquired without payment on their computer as they read this?
>
> Wait, so
> we're supposed to pay to just to have images on our hard drives for personal use now? I'll
> submit that no dinosaur paleontologist has legally acquired all of their
> papers, if only because no one could afford to.  Even ignoring the
> preposterous $40 per pdf standard that could be bypassed IF you happen to
> be part of an institution and IF that institution has access to everything,
> photocopying a copyrighted article is probably illegal, either for
> yourself or for distribution to others (especially if you charge for the
> latter).  And remember many journals limit the number of pdf copies that
> can be distributed legally by authors to ten or some ridiculous number,
> and/or limit the legal right to distribute pdf copies to the authors
> themselves (outside of a university setting, with even the latter often
> requiring special permission), so even these situations and reprints aren't legal. This gets somewhat away from art and into the open access debate, but do you really think I should be expected to contact AAAS and/or Abraczinskas for permissio

Steve Walsh
www.dinosaurcentral.com          |         www.dinosaurpicturesonline.com

Email: steve@dinosaurcentral.com        |         stevewalsh53@gmail.com
"Dinosaurs are not boring, and one can only make them so via ignorance."
Gregory S. Paul