RE: Reductio Ad Absurdum. It is 1984 Dinosaur Time..!

<Isn't that how it works in every profession?>

No. Programming language is copywritten by the company: any part of a string of
code is immediately prevented from being used, often with legal force, and is
often very difficult to get at, with various protections in programs to stop
people from seeing the source code itself. Not so the painter's medium, which
must be displayed in all of its material, every stroke available to the
analyst, who may then copy it. This is actually how art classes work: we are
asked to COPY things, whether from life, from inanimate objects, from another's
work. This is often instructed in the form of learning technique, adapting or
blending of technique, and is a required practice in many art studios or
classes.

I teach (when I have) that they should take someone else's work, and copy it,
so that they may learn how to produce the distinct styles of each artist they
admire and wish to emulate; but I also tell them that they have their own
style, adn they should add that in, modifying their work. Too often, however, I
see people take blatant thievery (some earlier work of a particular artist whom
I will not name was a direct copy in a different medium of work by Paul and
Skrepnick) and go the extra step. Some workers have a style so distinctive that
their work no longer resembles workers they once emulated, and this is all to
the good.

Programmers lack this ability; their work must match those with whom they work,
so as the piece they are developing may work together. Artists compete with one
another, sometimes friendly but sometimes not, and this leads to competition
and therefore artists that develop the "popular" style become prone to more
copying for the purpose of selling their work.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/