Re: Etymology of Brontosaurus (RE: Pantydraco and the worst dinosaur name)

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Alaric Shapli <alaric7@verizon.net> wrote:
> > "It's clear that Marsh had one eye on
> > classical mythology when he came up with the name _Brontosaurus_."
>
> So to speak.

Heh heh... I just got that.  Because Brontes, as a Cyclops, only had one eye.

There are sauropod names that relate directly to making the ground
shake, such as _Seismosaurus_ (earthquake + lizard), and
_Sauroposeidon_ (lizard + Poseidon, the god of earthquakes in Greek
mythology), and (by extension) _Xenoposeidon_ (strange or alien +
Poseidon).  Unlike the Latin deity Neptune, who presided over the sea
and freshwater, the Greek Poseidon was the god of earthquakes, as well
as of the sea.

Cheers

Tim