RE: new sauropod: Angolatitan

"the presumable azhdarchid based on the Sibbick style after the TMM specimen
(of a likely tapejarid?)"

Kellner (2004) suggested this was the case, and Martill and Naish (2006) called
the specimen the 'Javelina Tupuxuara'. Other authors, though, including myself
in my PhD and Lu et al. (2006), have referred the specimen to Azhdarchidae.
Read all about it here:

http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/2010/02/tmm-42489-2-hypersonic-uberbass-slide.html

Note that Carr's restoration, as with Sibbick's, are not the most parsimonious
interpretations of the skull of this animal, either: the lower jaw looks
relatively complete, so the skull is almost certainly not as long as depicted
in either painting. In all likelihood, this is a species of azhdarchid with a
particularly short/tall skull.

Mark

--

Dr. Mark Witton

Palaeobiology Research Group
University of Portsmouth
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road
Portsmouth
PO1 3QL

Tel: (44)2392 842418
E-mail: Mark.Witton@port.ac.uk

If pterosaurs are your thing, be sure to check out:

- Pterosaur.Net: www.pterosaur.net
- The Pterosaur.Net blog: http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/
- My pterosaur artwork: www.flickr.com/photos/markwitton

>>> Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com> 16/03/2011 12:25 >>>

I like the Pastori reconstruction, describing a very nice trophic scene; but
the Carr piece is different: The *Malawisaurus*-like head is fine if
unexpected, the neck attitude is debateable, but the presumable azhdarchid
based on the Sibbick style after the TMM specimen (of a likely tapejarid?)

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/