Re: Clarification of scope of paleoart->uses

I agree in general with that approach. But what if i'm
doing, say, a cladistic analysis..? I would prefer to
re-examine all relevant material in person, but for
practical reasons that's not always possible.

So the question is, can a dinosaur researcher (or any
scientist) rely, at least in part, on some previously
published analyses, including figures..?  As you say,
relying on other's work carries the risk of propagating
bad results. Naturally you'd like to test any previous
hypotheses every time, so doing your own analysis (or
reconstruction) from scratch is better. But it's also
more time consuming.

The answer is: we use those aspects that appear to be
most reliable. I use your Triceratops reconstruction's
general shape, but i count the ribs, i doublecheck the
limb proportions, skull sutures, and so on. That's a
derivative, i guess, but we all do it all the time.

For my cladistic analysis, i lay out everyone else's
matrix and then toss those characters that, somehow,
i determine to be most unrelable.