FW: Clarification of scope of paleoart market and other items

Yeeeeech !!! I really don't want to wade into this. I know I'm going to be
sorry ...... but .....

I sympathize with Greg on this one. And if you don't think it hurts the field
..... think again. When I was growing up, 1940s and onward, there were very few
jobs in this field even for professionals. This was certainly emphasized in the
horrifying palaeo art. Even as a child it was just painful to think just how
little was going on. The near total lack of art work and the dunbing down of
illustrations [even in scientific journals] led the public to think that
dinosaurology was dead and therefore had no need of support. It was seen as a
professional hobby due primarily from the cartoonish art work. It hurt the
field
badly and conveyed the idea that those involved couldn't possibly be "real"
professionals. This was the field that professionals "retired to" [like
building
model trains, cars, ships and the like]. People would wait for the punchline if
you told them that you were looking at this field as a profession. They would
tell you to "wait 'til you retire and have nothing better to do".

ALL because of the crude unprofessional artwork. Zero professionalism. Crude
marketing
thru art, for this field, hurt it badly.

Having said that and seeing palaeo in the state that it is currently in [a 100
times
better than it was before but, could be a 100 times better], this is what we
get when
we have nil ownership of the science. We have to dance continuously to the tune
of others.
Greg is dancing around the periphery. He has a better chance at it than others.
But we're
still outsiders. We have no publishing industry of our own, no motion picture
industry, no
real commercial industries to ply our trade through.

Virtually everything in palaeontology is owned by gov't. Its a real uphill
battle when we
find ourselves on the wrong track coming to the wrong towns expecting something
"different".

For what its worth ...... 2 cents .....

dale