Re: furry footprints

On Wed, March 16, 2011 7:25 pm, Mike Nathal wrote:
> I was reading the Hitchcock paper from 1836 on dinosaur tracks,
> reproduced as a chapter in The Dinosaur Papers.  He describes one
> ichnospecies,  Ornithichnites ingens, which are 3-toed but are combined
> with what looks like fur/hair/feather imprints at the back of each
> print.   Has there been any modern interpretation of these tracks?

At least some of these are deformation of the sediment caused by the foot
"tugging" on the algal mat on the mud. I remember a talk by Tony Martin
showing similar "feathering" showing up on worm trails, mud cracks, etc.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/