Re: Oxalaia, new spinosaur from Brazil

I gotta say, that feather looks unreal. That is to say, it looks like a real
feather, and not a fossil (it looks like it is 3D and not an impression).

According to Google translate, the finding is being viewed as evidence for some
feathered, non-flying animal. I'm assuming this was based off the feather being
rather frail and symmetrical, rather than anything else. Again, according to
Google translate, it could be from a dinosaur, or from a secondarily flightless
bird (or, IMO, a non-flight feather of a regular bird).

Mind you, Google translate also said this about _Oxalaia quilombensis_:

"The animal also had a candle in the back, which could serve as a sex
attractant for the regulation of heat or impress an opponent."

So, by all means, take the translation with a grain of salt.

Jason