Re: It was only a matter of time

On Fri, Mar 18th, 2011 at 5:40 AM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Accuse me of being an extremist green, but I dislike it less. With
> animals you have less of morality concerns, they may not conceive the
> pain they are inflicting, and seem to have less rational choices and
> be governed by instincts. I would much more respect an animal which
> kills because he cannot do anything else with prey at sight, than an
> human "sportsman" which kills for fun (of course, I do not judge those
> hunting for a living in the same way).

When it comes to predation, humans aren't much different to other predators.
Cats, dogs, and
killer whales will all kill for sport and then discard the corpse, and I'm sure
they're not the only
predatory species that do so.

Just because we like to believe in illusions like 'free will' or 'conscious
decision' doesn't mean we
should always be paragons of virtue. We're basically just animals like any
other species - even if
we have the occasional delusions of grandeur to the contrary.

Dann Pigdon