Re: It was only a matter of time

On Fri, Mar 18th, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, but you can refrain from killing a small animal. A cat/dog/orca
> apparently cannot choose between doing so nor not. They behave
> instinctively in a greater measure than us.

Most of human behaviour is driven by the non-conscious parts of the brain. This
is why criminal
profiling is useful, and how lie detectors work. If we were always 100%
conscious of our decisions
and actions, and had full control over them, then such behavioural predictive
measures would be
useless.

Brain studies have shown that many of our decisions are made before we are
consciously aware of
them, and that the brain simply delays acting on those decisions until it has
first sent the intention
to the parts of our brain that produce conscious thought. Because we seem to
become aware of the
decision before acting on it, we assume cause-and-effect and think we
consciously made that
decision. In reality our brain is simply fooling us into believing in the
illusion of free will.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/04/mind_decision

Humans are slaves to instinct as much as any other species. Should we torture
ourselves with a
sense of higher responsibility that our physiology doesn't allow us to
accomplish?

Dann Pigdon