Re: It was only a matter of time

We are not slaves to our first instinctual response.
If we were, instances of rape and sexual harassment would be orders of
magnitude higher than what they are now.

We consciously restrain ourselves from doing things all the time.

What you describe (and I don't dispute) sounds like the instinctual response
gets sent to the parts of the brain involved in consciousness, and evaluated
(somewhat) logically before action - if time permits.

I can think of at least two instances I did things I started doing before I was
consciously aware of my actions - both involved punching someone I knew in the
face/ hitting them in the face with a handheld flashlight...

When its late at night, you come home to a dark and quiet house, and someone
leaps out at you as you come around the corner...
or:
You are out camping in the woods, its late at night, and you are returning to
camp after relieving yourself and someone rushes at you from behind a tree....

You cannot be held accountable for your actions.
(You can however call your buddies "idiots" for trying such stupid pranks - but
I think the blood coming out of their nose was sufficient).

But that is entirely different than... oh, I don't know... strapping razor
blades on to the feet of two roosters, and watching them fight to the death for
your entertainment.

You can't blame that on an unconscious instinctual behavior that never got
evaluated by the conscious mind.