Re: It was only a matter of time

Delurking for a moment...

Living on top of Hell Creek Formation on the Montana/Wyoming border 65 miles
from the nearest town, surrounded by excessive coyotes and copious prairie
dogs.  I'm always having trouble deciding whether to hunt for fossils or hunt
for the varmints.  Life is full of decisions but in this case, hunting both are
pleasurable.  One often leads to the other opportunistically if your collecting
gear includes an accurate rifle (which mine does). If you've ever had a prized
horse break it's leg in a prairie dog hole or have had a calf have his face
eaten off by a pack of coyotes while it was being born, you'd understand.

All creatures, man included are products of their environments but directed by
their instinct.  I spend more time outdoors in the backcountry than indoors
during the warm season around here.  Those of you not exposed to the rougher
side of nature (I was a cop a few decades ago and indicate that society has the
same rougher side) don't understand and never will.  To me, it is difficult to
restrain from shooting a coyote on sight.  I'm having trouble figuring out why
I would try not to based on my experience.  The reptilian side of my brain
rules in this regard (instinct or learned behavior?).  Rule: No matter how much
you love the earth, it doesn't give a darn about you.  Neither do the creatures
on it that live by instinct or that have been taught otherwise by experience.
If you are prone toward eating vegetables all your life (sheep), then you'll
likely not be an aggressive creature, you like meat (wolves), you'll likely
kill to get it.  This rule applies to every creature from Dinosaurs to Man.  No
torture necessary, the wolves have no problem with this.  Only the sheep(le)
don't sleep at night.

I get entertainment of our alpha rooster and my wife going at it daily as she
checks for eggs.  No razors necessary.  The bird has learned to leave me alone.
 Go figure.

I have no question that the theropods got pleasure out of in every bite by
their killing of other animals.  It's the thrill of the hunt reinforced with
tasty animals at the end. Apologies to the vegans out there.

Frank Bliss MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming