The Knight analogy

Let’s do a little historical thought analogy here.

Some have claimed that it is not right for me to civilly insist (see my 3/3
posting) that others not use my regular side view skeleton and life pose.
Not all mind you, a number have kindly agreed with the request.

Say good old Charles Knight had adopted a standard pose for a bunch of side
views -- skeletons and lifes -- that he used over the many years. It became
known as the Knight Look that many of us grew up on and remain widely
beloved (albeit not accurate by modern standards but that’s another issue). Say
one or more artists started using the same pose. And say this occurrence
seriously cut into his income.

The question to those who oppose my protecting my body of work is as
follows. Would you contend that it was tough luck for Charles? That when a
paleoartist does something so repetitively that it becomes his or her standard
or
popular brand that the very act of doing so makes it fair game for all else
to use?

The next question to those who have been after me is as follows. Say
eventually after prodding by others who also saw the problem Knight reluctantly
posted a notice saying it was impairing his income and insisted that as a
professional courtesy that others don’t use the pose and thank you for
cooperating. Would you condemn his request?

If Knight were still alive today would you respond to his politely worded
statement on the list – say it was worded much the same as mine -- by telling
him to stop trying to protect his body of work?

And if you think it would have been fine for the late great Knight to have
taken action to protect himself in this manner, then why are you critical of
me for doing so?

If you are being inconsistent then there is a problem concerning your
attitude to my request. Actually it is not just me, because had any paleoartist
done something similar they would have probably caught similar flak. This
indicates a level of disrespect of current paleoartists.

If you are being consistent by saying that no artist can do what is
described above then it is not undermining me or living paleoartists per se,
but
you are basically saying that it is improper for artists to invoke
professional courtesy to better protect their body of work.

I am going to make a guess that if the above had happened back in days of
yore then it would be widely acknowledged that of course it was fine for
Knight to issue his notice. If you agree, and if you now realize that any
paleoartist of any period including this one can do the same, please let us
know.

G Paul
</HTML>