Re: The Knight analogy

Starting with a strawman and expanding for pages.... nice.

You were not the first to use "your" pose. In your example you do not
factor that in. And even then: Knight would not have had any copyright
on the "Knight look". Especially not if he wrote scientific papers on
how to produce these drawings, including a "how-to" guide, and another
long and preachy discussion in a self-congratulatory book edited by
himself.

Sorry, it is a tad late to say, 24 years later, that you meant
something entirely different then what you actually wrote. Want a
quote?
"Paleontological restoration is a discipline as valuable to the field
[of paleontology] as its other branches. At their best, when rendered
with daring and boldness, restorations are also a form of art."

I guess you did answer our question how your restorations are not
scientific data, despite being published in scientific venues, you
answered it some 24 years ago: they ARE scientific data - so why whine
now when people treat them as such?

Oh, and wasn't is you, in the intro to the SciAm book on dinosaurs
(ed. GS Paul  - talk about self-promotion!) who wrote how inspired you
were by Bakker's drawings????

And finally: you have failed to answer the posed questions directly.
Instead, if you seem to answer anything, you always do it obliquely,
as you do here. A poor man's way of dodging the question.

Why do you think your "body of work" is different (those parts
published in the scientific literature) from the work of other
scientists? Because you WANT to earn money with it? has your 401k
belly-flopped or what is the reason for your sudden change of mind?

Interestingly, you now talk about professional courtesy. Well, that's
an entirely different matter. If you hadn't touted the supposed
accuracy of your drawings so much, if you hadn't directly prompted
others to follow your example, written a how-to guide, called your
restorations "scientific", and been extremely un-courteous all over
all public venues - then I would agree that others should show
"professional courtesy". In fact, many people have simply taken you at
your published word - now you throw them into the same pot as those
few who really try to rip you off. Quite mixing the two groups up,
come to realize that you really have a lot of support here for your
valid points. And do drop the two really ridiculous demands: the one
that you retain copyright for stuff you signed copyright for off to
others, and the demand that people should not use "your" pose.

Heinrich Mallison