Re: Notes on scientifically comparative paleoposes

 I suspect that you have trouble with 3D vision.

That might explain why GSP's paintings often look like paintings of photos of 3D models made from sheets of paper. They do look three-dimensional for the most part, but they have oddly flat sides. Often they have very little shading. The three paintings in David Norman's book Dinosaurs! (Boxtree 1991), pp. 6, 37 and 65 of the German translation (also 1991), are examples. The *Apatosaurus* (p. 6, in front of the foreword) has an almost completely flat left arm that casts no shade, and neither does the tail, not even on itself; the neck seems to be lit from lateral and ventral, and the lateral side looks flat and vertical, even though the dorsal "side" is clearly supposed to be an edge and not a flat side; the head fails to cast a shadow on the lower jaw or the ear. Of the two *Tyrannosaurus* (p. 37, after the first page of the chapter "What are dinosaurs?"), the left one is lit about equally all over its right side, even though its head points to the right and its tail is curved there a bit, too; the one on the right lacks shadow on the right side of its neck, and its right lower leg and foot are just flat except for the projecting first toe. The tree trunks around the *Omeisaurus* (p. 65, again after the first page of a chapter) are _all completely flat_, one of the poor animals has a head but all the rest of it is just brown color on the background (lit much too brightly), another had head and neck visible but the neck isn't shaded even though its front side is lit by the sun, the legs in caudal view are all completely flat, and the distance between the little ones and the bush in front of them is just impossible to judge.

I was immediately given that book as a present at the next Christmas or birthday. I immediately loved these paintings, and still do, but I also immediately noted the flat-sided look.

From several years later (10th grade maybe), I remember being surprised at what incredible lots of shading are required to make anything look 3D.