Re: It was only a matter of time

2011/3/17 frank bliss <frank@blissnet.com>:

> Living on top of Hell Creek Formation on the Montana/Wyoming border 65 miles
> from the nearest town, surrounded by excessive coyotes and copious prairie
> dogs.  I'm always having trouble deciding whether to hunt for fossils or hunt
> for the varmints.  Life is full of decisions but in this case, hunting both
> are pleasurable.  One often leads to the other opportunistically if your
> collecting gear includes an accurate rifle (which mine does). If you've ever
> had a prized horse break it's leg in a prairie dog hole or have had a calf
> have his face eaten off by a pack of coyotes while it was being born, you'd
> understand.

Sorry by getting off-topic with this rant.
Frank, if you like wildlife you should not kill praire dogs. They are
not out of peril, and they have been exterminated in many places.
Large amount of carnivorous vertebrates sustain thanks to this
species. In addition, it has been indicated that many herbivorous
animals prefer to graze where praire dogs are common. They seem to be
a keystone species, at least for the vertebrate assemblage.
You say the Earth does not give anything to us. Wrong, the forests
give us oxygen and capture water, for you, me, and your cattle, and
does it for free. We tend to see us unrelated with the rest of the
ecosystem, when we actually need of its functioning a lot. We tend to
reductionistic and believing the only things important are those we
know as useful, thus not caring in killing the rest. Many consider
that with a few domestic species we can survive and forget the others.
More holistically, out of prevention given our current small
understanding on the functioning of the complexities of the relations
of ecosystems we should be care not to remove species from ecosystems
because of fear to unexpectable consequences.
And, how fair is it for European-culture man to invade the terrain
where American predators previously thrived, replace their common prey
with cattle, and then get furious when they go after the only prey
they can find?