RE: Plagurism

I'm not particularly happy that _this_ exists:

  http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2009/04/udanoceratops_tschizhovi.php

  Based on my original sketch of a finished skull (leaving off the less
complete "what's preserved" sketch which was available at the same time from an
art exhibition website and to which I maintained copyright (an unauthorized
copy can be found here:
http://gigadino.pagesperso-orange.fr/images_dossiers/cera12.JPG)

  But it also happens to be the only widely-known illustration of the skull of
*Udanoceratops tschizhovi*, it's available on the internet, and that seems good
enough for many people.

  I tend to allow free use (without modification, with attribution) of all my
skeletal diagrams, provided they are "for a scientific purpose," a broad
category that can be construed for a variety of things. But for my diagrams and
illustrations beyond that, I am more picky, and here is where I fail to receive
attribution. Naish (above, first link) correctly notes that the illustration is
based on something I did, something which Naish and I had discussed years
before (I think I showed the original to him at SVP, although I may be
confusing that with someone else), and so some familiarity allows a person to
note when I'm being plagiarized. It's not the only time I've been plagiarized,
I doubt it will be the last, but it's the most significant.

  I lack the means to track down and even attempt to sue the original
modifier/poster (whom I suspect may be Russian -- for the original appearance
of this was on a Russian website, that I know of), and thus my legal options
are limited. But despite that, the illustration has been used to _promote_
scientific interest, and it _is_ the only skull of the Nutcracker that I know
of, and so Science is forwarded by this act. How paradoxical.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/