Re: Aussiedraco, new Australian pteranodontoid pterosaur

On Sun, Mar 20th, 2011 at 6:03 PM, "bh480@scn.org" <bh480@scn.org> wrote:

> Kellner, Alexander W.A.; Rodiriques, Taissa  and  Costa, Fabiana R. 2011
> Short note on a Pteranodontoid pterosaur (Pterodactyloidea) from western
> Queensland, Australia.
> Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências 83 (1): 301-308.
> ISSN 0001-3765
> http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_abstract&pid=S0001-37652011000100
> 018&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=en
>
> Flying reptiles from Australia are very rare, represented mostly by
> isolated bones coming from the Early Cretaceous (Albian) Toolebuc
> Formation, which crops out in western Queensland. Among the first pterosaur
> specimens discovered from this deposit is a mandibular symphysis that some
> authors thought to have a particular affinity to species found in the
> Cambridge Greensand (Cenomanian) of England. It was further referred as a
> member of or closely related to one of the genera Ornithocheirus,
> Lonchodectes or Anhanguera. Here we redescribe this specimen, showing that
> it cannot be referred to the aforementioned genera, but represents a new
> species of Pteranodontoid (sensu Kellner 2003), here named Aussiedraco
> molnari gen. et sp. nov. It is the second named pterosaur from Australia
> and confirms that the Toolebuc deposits are so far the most important for
> our understanding of the flying reptile fauna of this country.

We can add this to the 'awful names' list. Even 'Ozdraco' would have been less
annoying. What was
wrong with a more traditional name like 'Australodraco' or 'Australopteryx'? I
especially like the
way the latter rolls off the tongue.

Dann Pigdon