Re: Aussiedraco, new Australian pteranodontoid pterosaur

"We can add this to the 'awful names' list"

Yup. Easy to spell, though, which is a boon in these modern times of
exotic-place-name-osaurus.

Also, I note that the specimen is only compared to ornithocheiroids despite it
having a morphology that isn't a million miles away from some ctenochasmatoids
(e.g. isodont dentition, dorsoventrally tapering and rounded jaw termination,
rounded ventral apex). The little-mentioned possible ctenochasmatoid
Huanhepterus even has a convex dorsal surface at it's mandibular tip in the
region seen in Aussiedraco, though the posterior region of the Aussiedraco
holotype looks to badly damaged in this region (the description doesn't mention
this, but the fifth alveoli look pretty badly worn, the midline groove
disappears and both lateral margins are quite chewed up here: with this in
mind, I wonder if the dorsal mandibular surface is as convex as it first
appears). These are only first impressions, mind: a more thorough read of the
paper and comparisons may well turn up other ideas.

Mark

--

Dr. Mark Witton

Palaeobiology Research Group
University of Portsmouth
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road
Portsmouth
PO1 3QL

Tel: (44)2392 842418
E-mail: Mark.Witton@port.ac.uk

If pterosaurs are your thing, be sure to check out:

- Pterosaur.Net: www.pterosaur.net
- The Pterosaur.Net blog: http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/
- My pterosaur artwork: www.flickr.com/photos/markwitton

On Sun, Mar 20th, 2011 at 6:03 PM, "bh480@scn.org" <bh480@scn.org> wrote:

> Kellner, Alexander W.A.; Rodiriques, Taissa  and  Costa, Fabiana R. 2011
> Short note on a Pteranodontoid pterosaur (Pterodactyloidea) from western
> Queensland, Australia.
> Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências 83 (1): 301-308.
> ISSN 0001-3765
> http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_abstract&pid=S0001-37652011000100
> 018&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=en
>
> Flying reptiles from Australia are very rare, represented mostly by
> isolated bones coming from the Early Cretaceous (Albian) Toolebuc
> Formation, which crops out in western Queensland. Among the first pterosaur
> specimens discovered from this deposit is a mandibular symphysis that some
> authors thought to have a particular affinity to species found in the
> Cambridge Greensand (Cenomanian) of England. It was further referred as a
> member of or closely related to one of the genera Ornithocheirus,
> Lonchodectes or Anhanguera. Here we redescribe this specimen, showing that
> it cannot be referred to the aforementioned genera, but represents a new
> species of Pteranodontoid (sensu Kellner 2003), here named Aussiedraco
> molnari gen. et sp. nov. It is the second named pterosaur from Australia
> and confirms that the Toolebuc deposits are so far the most important for
> our understanding of the flying reptile fauna of this country.

We can add this to the 'awful names' list. Even 'Ozdraco' would have been less
annoying. What was
wrong with a more traditional name like 'Australodraco' or 'Australopteryx'? I
especially like the
way the latter rolls off the tongue.

Dann Pigdon