Re: Aussiedraco, new Australian pteranodontoid pterosaur

Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> We can add this to the 'awful names' list. Even 'Ozdraco' would have been
> less annoying. What was
> wrong with a more traditional name like 'Australodraco' or 'Australopteryx'?
> I especially like the
> way the latter rolls off the tongue.

I don't hate the name _Aussiedraco_ as much as I thought I would.  And
I say that as an Aussie.  However, I hope the name is pronounced
correctly.  Australians pronounce 'Aussie' as Ozzy (i.e., with a soft
s) - not Ossy or Awssy (despite the latter two being closer to how the
first syllable in Australia is pronounced, with a hard s).  So if I
hear _Aussiedraco_ pronounced as 'Ossidraco' rather than 'Ozzidraco',
it will really set my teeth on edge.

Cheers

Tim