Re: Aussiedraco, new Australian pteranodontoid pterosaur

On Tue, Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't hate the name _Aussiedraco_ as much as I thought I would.  And
> I say that as an Aussie.  However, I hope the name is pronounced
> correctly.  Australians pronounce 'Aussie' as Ozzy (i.e., with a soft
> s) - not Ossy or Awssy (despite the latter two being closer to how the
> first syllable in Australia is pronounced, with a hard s).  So if I
> hear _Aussiedraco_ pronounced as 'Ossidraco' rather than 'Ozzidraco',
> it will really set my teeth on edge.

If they really wanted to ocker things up properly, they'd have called it
*Aussiedraco oioioi*, rather
than naming it in honour of a yank (albeit one who has made important
contributions to Australian
palaeontology). :-)

I'm personally looking forward to *Amievergonnaseeyourfaceagain* being used as
a generic
name. The specific name would be truly memorable (but have to be shouted
drunkenly en masse).

Dann Pigdon