Fw: Hayashibara Museum: Message from Dr. Watabe

Rescued from sender-not-subscribed filter:

Subject: Hayashibara Museum: Message from Dr. Watabe
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:31:14 -0500
From: "Shimada, Kenshu" <KSHIMADA@depaul.edu>
To: "vrtpaleo@usc.edu" <VRTPALEO@usc.edu>, <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Cc: <wmahito@pop16.odn.ne.jp>, <moldavicum@pa2.so-net.ne.jp>

Hi Everyone,

Dr. Mahito Watabe at the Hayashibara Museum of Natural Sciences has
asked me to post his message on this list (see below).  Although the
fate of the museum as well as its staff and collections still remains
uncertain, the situation could have been worse without your support, so
on behalf of our Japanese colleagues, thank you again to those who
responded!

Regards,
Kenshu

________________________
Dear All!

Thank you very much for your support to the Hayashibara Museum of
Natural Sciences.  Your statement to Dr. Fukuda, new president of
Hayashibara Company worked very well.  He now supports us, and decided
not to scrap us down.  However, the main decision making power is held
by the attorney as official receiver of this bankrupting, and financial
adviser to them, sent from banks.  So, we need to fight more and more
with them to keep the HMNS survived and specimens from selling away.

Now, new owner of the HC will be decided (chosen) by the end of July.
If the new owner will refuse maintenance of the HMNS, we will be very
difficult situation. We will have very little possibility to survive.
We need to find a new owner (owners) of the HMNS different from the new
owner of the HC.  This is tremendously difficult in this harsh situation
of Japanese economy damaged by the Tohoku Earthquakes and Tsunami Waves,
with troubles of a nuclear power station.

By the March of the next year (2012), the entire plan of rehabilitation
of the HC (maybe, name of the company will be changed) should be
approved by Tokyo Local Court, and then from the beginning of the next
April, the rehabilitation plan will begin (the HC will become new
company and begin its maximum activities of commerce).  If by the next
March, our HMNS cannot find new supporter, the museum will end.

By your letter and other people's letters to the new president of the
HC, and the attorney as an its official receiver, our HMNS can continue
our activities (no money for research and no money for museum
activities, but, we can hold our job).  Thank you very much for your
great support.  I hope to keep the Mongolian specimen safely stored in
different place (at some museums) from HMNS.  I must send back them to
Mongolia at the end.  The specimens collected by HMNS are now in custody
of another company.  So the specimens do not belong to the HMNS.  The
company can sell them without any discussion with the HMNS.  But, your
letter and other people's statements stopped it.  Now, the HMNS has no
financial background, because the financial source (Hayashibara Company)
has trouble too.  I hope those collected specimens: dinosaurs and other
many well-preserved vertebrate, invertebrate, and plant fossil specimens
will be kept the company, or donated to some other museums for research
and exhibition, and not for sale.

My battle will continue at least by the end of July.  The judgment day
is on this coming July.

This is our present situation.

Yours,

Mahito
Hayashibara Museum of Natural Sciences, and
Center for Paleobiological Research
March 22, 2011

_________________________
Kenshu Shimada, Ph.D.