RE: Aussiedraco, new Australian pteranodontoid pterosaur

  Sounds like they use "Aussie," and pronounce it as if to say "ahz-zee." The
term is spelt "Aussie," and that's where the confusion lies for non-Aussies.
For most of us 'Merkins, our exposure to Australia is centered around two
experiences: Steve Irwin and _Crocodile Dundee_. I do not know if this is the
exposure in Europe or Austria proper, but it's telling that most American media
spells it without ever hearing a native speak it. The same level of dissonance
occurs when people encounter pronouncers of names of taxa in ways they don't
expect (e.g., Ostrom's *Deinonychus*, and the point Mike Taylor made about
*Euhelopus* on SV-POW!).

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)