Re: Senter 2006, Confuciusornis, and humeral mobility

On Mar 22, 2011, at 10:47 PM, Jason Brougham wrote:

> Do you know of any gliders that do not have a caudal source of drag? I
> mean a tail, abdomen, tentacles or other structure that is positioned
> posteriorly from the main glide surface(s)? The only taxa I can think of
> are gliding frogs, but perhaps their pes webbing is larger and provides
> more drag than that of the manus. If a glider (and now I mean man - made
> gliders also) was not stabilized in this way couldn't they end up spinning
> like a frisbee?

Most habitual gliders do have tails, true, but several have quite low-drag
tails (Draco, for example, can shift its tail to generate center of mass
changes, but its drag profile is pretty small).  Note that many small
rainforest arthropods glide and maneuver with no dedicated airfoils at all,
however, and many of them lack a real "tail" structure (plus you can remove the
abdomen and they continue to glide just fine - see work by Robert Dudley).

Lack of a tail will not make a glider spin.  It could make the glider more
unstable in pitch (and yaw, to some extent), requiring active control.  As it
is, manmade gliders are not using their tails in the same way as animal
gliders.  Sailplanes and the like have a tail structure that does, in fact, add
substantial stability.  In gliding animals it is a control surface (in most
cases by producing both aerodynamic forces and by shifting the center of mass
relative to the center of lift).  Flying animals (powered and unpowered) do not
fly like a static synthetic glider.  This is a major concern I had with the KU
study, as well - it is questionable whether launching a static, fixed-position
gliding model is sufficiently informative for the task at hand.

> Half of Confuciusornis specimens do not have tail feathers. Has anyone
> ever tried one in a wind tunnel to see if it is stable or if it pitches
> wildly and spins around the long axis of its wingspan?

Not that I am aware of, though you wouldn't actually need to do a wind tunnel
run to calculate if the animal is unstable in pitch.  If you can build a model
for a wind tunnel, then you have already either estimated or assumed body mass,
body shape, wing shape, wing position, and wing compliance.  At that point, you
can just calculate the pitching moment at any given position by hand, and it's
not terribly difficult to figure out if it's stable in pitch.  An afternoon's
work, give or take, once you have all of the above variables (that being the
tricky bit, of course).  Getting drag profiles is much more complicated, and
that's really where tossing a model in a wind tunnel is helpful (such as the
Microraptor Xu et al. run).

Cheers,

--Mike H.

Michael Habib