Re: Senter 2006, Confuciusornis, and humeral mobility

>I already did the calculations; they're actually pretty easy.
> Granted, I'm just doing a rough version.  However, the results are not
> promising for powered flight with a non-elevated forelimb.

Hmm. Interesting. By "not promising" what are we talkin', percentage wise?
How much more lift would we need, you know, given a range of finger
flexibilities from 10 degrees at each of the two finger joints to 90
degrees at each of the finger joints?

Also, in your calculations, how many of the primary feathers, and thus how
much of the wing area, did you put on the first phalanx, how many on the
second, and how many on the metacarpal? Give me the numbers of feathers
and the surface area of each that you plugged into your equations so I can
check them out for you.

-Jason