Re: Sauropod browsing energetics

On Fri, Mar 25th, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> May it also be explored whether or not the neck motion required to
> harvest food whicle standing still contributes less to the problematic
> overheating (for large animals) than locomotion?

Am I right in assuming that sauropod remains are extremely rare (or
non-existent) in areas that
would have experienced extreme cold? Certainly there have never been any
sauropod remains
from the Victorian Early Cretaceous deposits in Australia, which would have
been at around 75
degrees south latitude at the time. Sauropod tracks are known from Queensland
and Western
Australia at the time, but these are further north (roughly 65 and 55 degrees
latitude respectively).

If this was the case (and not just a matter of preservational bias), then it
may suggest that
sauropods were optimised for dumping heat rather than retaining it.

Dann Pigdon