From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] On Behalf Of
Denver Fowler
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 12:32 PM
To: DML
Subject: Re: Dollodon status questioned

Forwarded for Liz Freedman

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com> wrote:

>   I wonder if McDonald uses some more substantive reasoning (optimistically,
>assume he does) than in the abstract -- which is, let's face it, an abstract.
>haven't the paper, but will soon.

Not really - he runs a PCA on a mere 3 measurements for each specimen
(which would give any statistician a heart attack), and those 3
measurements are all known to vary with the size of the specimen
(i.e., likely ontogenetically). Axis 1 (80% of variance) is probably
based entirely on the size of the specimen, with no real taxonomic
value.

-Liz Freedman