Re: Senter 2006, Confuciusornis, and humeral mobility

Michael Habib has written to the dml this week:

> I actually was not doing a launch calculation with regards to the limits
> of flapping, as I was under the impression that we were considering the
> generation of sufficient circulation during steady flight.

and today:

> The main problem, however, continues to be the climb out
> issue.  The steady flight stroke angles are not applicable to phases of
> sharply accelerating flight, especially when climbing after launch.

So let's just stick to your original suggestion that we just consider
steady flight for now. We know that there are many modern birds, such as
Shearwaters (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjmtt_B_i4A) and condors, that
have great difficulty getting airborne yet they may still live much of
their lives on the wing.

Jason Brougham
Senior Principal Preparator
Department of Exhibition