Re: Senter 2006, Confuciusornis, and humeral mobility

Jason Brougham <jaseb@amnh.org> wrote:

> I agree that the deltopectoral crest may have functioned in tree climbing
> with the hands but, of course, this is not mutually exclusive with flight
> stroke functions.

Agreed.  However, if the bird was able to take-off from the ground, it
wouldn't need to climb trees.  I know you're well aware of this... I'm
just throwing it into the mix.

> My hypothesis is that the huge deltopectoral crest could
> have functioned to give the deep pectoralis muscles greater leverage in
> rotating the humeral trochlea dorsally for a powered flight stroke.

Does this obviate the need for dorsal excursion of the humerus?  In
other words, does this proposed role for the deltopectoral crest still
require the humerus to elevate above the dorsum - or does it remove
the need altogether, in order to effect a flight stroke?

Cheers

Tim