RE: Alvarezsaur spurs (was Re: dino-lice)

> Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 16:00:35 +1000
> From: tijawi@gmail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Alvarezsaur spurs (was Re: dino-lice)
>
> Anthony Docimo wrote:
>
> > why does it need superb digging abilities, if it can rely on something else
> > to do the digging for it?
>

> I don't understand the premise of your question.

 i forget the origin of this quote, "evolution, like politics, is the art of
the possible, not of the perfect."

 if the Aardwolf can make a halfway decent living the way it is doing, why
change?
(one day, perhaps there will be super-Aardwolves compared to what we have now,
I grant you)

> True, the aardwolf
> exploits burrows dug by other mammals (aardvark, porcupines). But if
> the aardwolf wants to crack open a tough termite mound, it's royally
> screwed. Harvester termites (the aardwolf's predominant food source)
> spend their nights foraging in the open for food - but in winter they
> tend to stay inside. The aardwolf thrives off foraging harvester
> termites for most of the year, but in summer it has to resort to other
> insects - including other species of termites foraging outside the
> nest, or on mounds that are easy to excavate - which provide much
> leaner pickings. By contrast, the aardvarks can tear open tough nests
> all year round.

 So...?..the Aardvarks are like elephants and sauropods, which can reach
tender, succulent young leaves anywhere on a tree.   while the Aardwolf is like
antelope and therizinosaurs and stegosaurs, which have to either eat from
low-hanging branches, or hope the elephant/sauropod knocks the tree over where
they can reach.