Re: Alvarezsaur spurs (was Re: dino-lice)

Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  if the Aardwolf can make a halfway decent living the way it is doing, why
> change?
> (one day, perhaps there will be super-Aardwolves compared to what we have
> now, I grant you)

Improved digging adaptations would allow the aardwolf to access tough
termite mounds, and feed all year round on harvester termites.

>  So...?..the Aardvarks are like elephants and sauropods, which can reach
> tender, succulent young leaves anywhere on a tree.   while the Aardwolf is
> like antelope and therizinosaurs and stegosaurs, which
> have to either eat from low-hanging branches, or hope the elephant/sauropod
> knocks the tree over where they can reach.

No, because in these habitats foliage is available (at least
somewhere) in adequate quantities all year round.  The preferred food
source for aardwolves (harvester termites) is seasonal insofar as
their foraging activities are concerned.  During the lean months of
winter, when these termites are hunkered down, the aardwolf has to
become less active.  It does find things to eat (such as other termite
species), but the ability to smash open a tough nest (as aardvarks do)
would mean that the aardwolf would not have to wait for them to leave
the nest.  The inability to excavate tough mounds severely constrains
the aardwolf's dietary choice during winter.  The aardvark has no such
constraint.

Cheers

Tim