RE: Alvarezsaur spurs (was Re: dino-lice)

> Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 17:11:47 +1000
> From: tijawi@gmail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Alvarezsaur spurs (was Re: dino-lice)
>
> Anthony Docimo wrote:
>
> > if the Aardwolf can make a halfway decent living the way it is doing, why
> > change?
> > (one day, perhaps there will be super-Aardwolves compared to what we have
> > now, I grant you)

> Improved digging adaptations would allow the aardwolf to access tough
> termite mounds, and feed all year round on harvester termites.

 and retention/gaining the ability to fly, would have let therizinosaurs reach
even more tender leaves.

wait, you were agreeing?  nevermind.

> > So...?..the Aardvarks are like elephants and sauropods, which can reach
> > tender, succulent young leaves anywhere on a tree. while the Aardwolf is
> > like antelope and therizinosaurs and stegosaurs, which
> > have to either eat from low-hanging branches, or hope the elephant/sauropod
> > knocks the tree over where they can reach.
>
> No, because in these habitats foliage is available (at least
> somewhere) in adequate quantities all year round.

 true...I was conflating folivorous antelope with the annual migrations of the
grass-eaters.

> The preferred food
> source for aardwolves (harvester termites) is seasonal insofar as
> their foraging activities are concerned. During the lean months of
> winter, when these termites are hunkered down, the aardwolf has to
> become less active. It does find things to eat (such as other termite
> species), but the ability to smash open a tough nest (as aardvarks do)
> would mean that the aardwolf would not have to wait for them to leave
> the nest. The inability to excavate tough mounds severely constrains
> the aardwolf's dietary choice during winter.

 like bears and pretty much every other hibernating mammal.