Re: Alvarezsaur spurs (was Re: dino-lice)

2011/5/1 Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com>:

> Sorry Augusto - I didn't intend to refute your suggestion that the
> aardwolf is cursorial.  However, the alvarezsaur anatomy doesn't fit
> with the notion that it had a particularly aardwolf-like ecology, and
> lurked in a burrow much of the time when its preferred food (termites)
> became scarce.

Ok., nothing to be sorry. So, we may agree that you can be
myrmecophagous and weight well above 1 kg. and still be cursorial.
What in the alvarezsaur anatomy would not fit with an aardwolf-like
ecology? It seems difficult to support that an alvarezsaur had a
higher metabolic rate than an aardwolf.
I admit that we have nothing (as far as I know) to infer winter
inactivity in alvarezsaurs, true, but is there something in the
aardwolf skeleton which makes that evident? Well, perhaps there is,
although I do not know; perhaps growth rings, but in this case, many
dinosaurs also show them, so perhaps alvarezsaurs also had them.