1825 Shady Creek Court
Mississauga, ON
Canada L5L 3W2

On 2011-04-30, at 12:09 AM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, it seems that New World vultures which are more vision-based
(Coragyps), typically operate on open areas, whereas vultures which
are more smell-based (Cathartes), operate in more covered forests. I
think that, although vision may likely help a ground-based scavenger,
overall by following vultures, at ground-level the vegetal coverage,
or just irregularity of terrain (with slight bumps and cavities), may
pose a great problem for a scavenger. I think vision is predominant in
soaring vultures, which have a greater radius of coverage because of
their elevated position, but for ground-based animals this radius is
much smaller.

Sorry, I meant to also include land predators relying on vultures to
detect carcasses.