Re: Alvarezsaur spurs (was Re: dino-lice)

Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:

> From what I can recall, though, the canines are used for fighting members of
> their own species, more often than members of other species.  could an
> Aardwolf bite an attacker?  sure - but in terms of
> last-ditch resorts, it falls somewhere between Giant Anteaters using their
> claws, and T.rex lying down (or falling, if uncharitable in description) on
> someone.

Yes, the aardwolf is very territorial and highly aggressive.
Apparently old individuals have their canines worn down to a stump -
probably as a result of combat with members of their own species.

There are times when running/fleeing isn't an option - such as when
the aardwolf is in its own den, and an intruder is trying to get in.
Encounters between a denning aardwolf and jackals are apparently quite
common, especially when the aardwolf has cubs.  In these
confrontations, yes, an aardwolf will bite an attacker.

BTW, I didn't understand your _T. rex_ comment.  Although the puny
arms would be useless for bringing down a potential attacker, the jaws
and teeth would have done the job quite effectively.

Cheers

Tim