Barsboldia rediagnosed

From: Ben Creisler
bh480@scn.org

I hope I don't exceed some kind of DML limit (these are not opinions but
article and news links), but here is yet another article of interest out
today:

Albert Prieto-Márquez (2011)
A Reappraisal of Barsboldia sicinskii (Dinosauria: Hadrosauridae) from the
Late Cretaceous of Mongolia.
Journal of Paleontology 85(3):468-477. 2011
http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1666/10-106.1

The taxonomy and phylogenetic position of the hadrosaurid dinosaur
Barsboldia sicinskii is revised. This species is rediagnosed based on the
unique combination of iliac central plate with depth/length ratio less than
0.8 and sacral vertebrae with distally ?clubbed? neural spines at least
four times higher than their centra. A maximum parsimony analysis of 47
hadrosauroid (39 hadrosaurid) species does not support the purported
lambeosaurine affinities of B. sicinskii, but recovers this form as a basal
saurolophine hadrosaurid based on unambiguous synapomorphies of the ilium.
This result increases the diversity of saurolophine taxa in Asia, a
continent with a hadrosaurid fossil record so far dominated by
lambeosaurines. Finally, several vertebral and iliac characters previously
regarded as diagnostic of Lambeosaurinae are discussed and shown to be
uninformative from a taxonomic or phylogenetic standpoint.

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web