Re: Willinakaqe

2011/5/12 Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com>:

>   Are we to use Spanish pronunciation rules for Mapuche? If so, how DOES one
> pronounce "kaqe"? I'm tempted to say "will-ee-nuh-kayk" just because that's
> how it looks, but as with *Futalognkosaurus* I won't hedge my bets.
> "wih-yih-na-kah-kay" is my real best guess.

Yes, I now think we should pronounce this in Mapuce. However, I
suspect pronunciation may mostly resemble Spanish, as Spanish is the
only language with Latin alphabet sympatric with Mapuce, and from
which Mapuce most likely take the conversion from sound to writing.
However, there are differences, as David indicated.

In Spanish we pronounce this way:
http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT#en|es|Willinakaqe  (push the
listen button)

As I pronounce vowels differently from you, I do not much mind how
does "will-ee-nuh-kayk" sound.

I just downloaded a pronunciation guide for Mapuce here:
http://futatraw.ourproject.org/descargas/canumil.pdf

Sadly for you, it is in Spanish, using pronunciation guides in
comparison with Spanish words, but I will read it and send an audio
file with the Mapuce pronunciation.

2011/5/12 David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>:

> Of the systems listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapudungun_alphabet
> , all three that use the letter q at all use it for the sound that g assumes
> in Spanish between vowels. (The other two orthographies indeed spell this
> sound as g.)

Great!

> Of those three that use ll at all, it is for the sound that ll has in very
> conservative kinds of Spanish. It is the same as the Italian gl and the
> Portuguese lh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatal_lateral_approximant
> Sound files:
> http://hctv.humnet.ucla.edu/departments/linguistics/VowelsandConsonants/course/chapter7/italian/italian.html

Well, as I (and suspect most) do not know much Italian or Portuguese,
here I attach how "ll" is pronounced in Spanish in "llorar" (push the
listen button):

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT#en|es|llorar%0D%0A